Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Pizza with Onion Confit - TWD: Baking with Julia

Tuesdays with Dorie: Baking with Julia - 24th Installment.  The recipe is Pizza with Onion Confit.
 I like this recipe, and thought it was fairly easy.  I even stored the dough overnight after mixing the flour into the sponge, and it turned out well after its stay in the fridge.  Usually I made pizza dough in the food processor, but this was just as easy in the electric mixer.  I used all-purpose flour, but I am wondering if it might have more nice chewiness if I had used bread flour.  The pizza stone definitely helps with the texture, no matter what kind of flour is used.

Purple onions - they started out yellow!
The onions were simple to cook (just needed time at home for the hour of slow "confit-ing"). They did turn very purple from the red wine.  I think I didn't really cook them long enough either, becuase the wine flavor was still somewhat noticeable.  I was hoping for more sweetness.  I may try this again with less wine - I'm a big fan of carmelized onions on pizza, especially with other sharp ingredients like olives and goat cheese.

I made one pizza with the onion confit, plus oil-cured olives and goat cheese (yum), and one with red sauce, cheese, sausage, mushrooms and peppers, so the diners wouldn't completely rebel.  

6 comments:

  1. Your pizza looks great. I left the second half of my dough in the fridge overnight, and I think it was better than my first pizza crust. I think it needed time to rest.
    The onion confit was good, but I too am a fan of caramelized onions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking pizza! I liked the confit, too, even though I used white wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We thought the confit made for an interesting variation and quite enjoyed it, but the beauty about pizza is its versatility and you can make it into anything you like. You achieved such a rich purple color with your onions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great variations on the Pizza. Look forward to making it.

    Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good!
    I thought that the dough improved after a day or two in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete