Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Vanilla Chiffon Roll - TWD: Baking with Julia

 Tuesdays with Dorie: Baking with Julia - 49th installment. The recipe is Vanilla Chiffon Roll.

Chocolate walnut mousse!  Candied walnuts!  Soggy cake (?!?).  

This recipe seemed straightforward, and I think I followed it correctly...but something was definitely wrong with the cake.    I thought it was done, and got it out of the pan, spread on the mousse,
and then rolled it up. When I had rolled it up, and then trimmed off the ends, I noticed how dense and soggy it seemed to be.  It was wet, or maybe greasy, rather than cakey.  Possible explanations I came up with: 
  1. I took it out of the oven too soon.
  2. The layer of non-stick cooking spray (per the recipe) was too heavy and greasy, and it had a bad effect on the cake.
Boo hoo...although the mousse filling was fantastic, and I really liked the candied walnut topping, I actually disliked the cake so much that I threw the leftovers away after we all tried it.   Very disappointing.  Looking foward to seeing how others in the TWD group managed with this....

No comments:

Post a Comment