Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Matzos - TWD: Baking with Julia

Tuesdays with Dorie: Baking with Julia - 79th installment. The recipe is Matzos.
Another flatbread - although familiar with matzos from the supermarket, it didn't occur to me as something one could prepare at home, so this was an interesting one to try.
This has, of course, a super simple ingredient list - flour, water, salt, and pepper.  I also included the optional sesame seeds, to make it a bit more interesting.
You mix up the dough, which is a little on the dry side, and then just divide up the dough and roll it out very thinly.  I can see that evenness is key to getting it to bake evenly (hence the slighly charred edges and light middle sections on my pile of matzos :-). You prick the dough sheet with a fork, and sprinkle with salt.
The baking method is to pre-heat a baking sheet with the oven up high (500 degrees or more), and then place the dough sheet on that hot metal baking sheet.  Bake for a minute, turn it over, and bake for another minute.  Mine took slighly longer, since I suspect I hadn't rolled it out as thinly as I might.
I like the simplicity of this recipe, and the result was good (better than the supermarket variety!).

3 comments:

  1. I agree-- better than the supermarket ones! And easy enough to try making again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way better than supermarket!! Mine took longer after a while too, mostly I suspect from the opening and closing of the oven. I loved the burned parts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way better than supermarket!! Mine took longer after a while too, mostly I suspect from the opening and closing of the oven. I loved the burned parts!

    ReplyDelete