Sunday, January 1, 2017

Tuiles - TWD: Baking with Julia

Tuesdays with Dorie: Baking with Julia - 107th installment. The recipe is Tuiles (baked in July, finally blogged now!) 
This is one of those recipes that I have been dreading/anticipating.  I remember my first attempt to make this kind of cookie (I believe the recipe called them Lace Cookies) back in high school or college, and how unsuccessful it was! No photos of the occasion, but I remember it well. The picture in the book was enticing, but the reality of getting those cookies off the baking sheet was a disaster.  So, this post is dedicated to baking parchment and Silpat baking mats!  
The recipe in the book says "as easy to make as drop cookies" - I would call that an exaggeration.  Even with the amazing non-stick technology we have now, I think this are somewhat challenging, as they are fragile.  
The batter is very interesting - melted butter and heavy cream, coarsely ground almonds, sugar, a couple of tablespoons of flour, and orange zest.  It needs to be chilled overnight.
After chilling, you drop a teaspoon of batter for each cookie onto your parchment-covered sheet, leaving two inches between each cookie.   They are baked at 325°F for just 5 minutes - no multi-tasking while they bake, because you need to yank them out of the oven as soon as they turn slightly brown.  








Once out of the oven, you lay them on the rolling pin to make the curved shape of the "tuile" (French for "tile"). They cool into this shape quickly, and you take them off the pin to make room for more.

Once cooled, they are drizzled with melted semisweet chocolate.  

I found the edges of the cookies were still very fragile and prone to breakage as you handle them after baking. I wonder if it's possible to make these slightly thicker, so they are a little bit more sturdy.  I definitely want to try this one again to get the technique down.

No comments:

Post a Comment