Tuesday, July 3, 2012

French Strawberry Cake - TWD: Baking with Julia

Tuesdays with Dorie: Baking with Julia - Tenth Installment.  The recipe is French Strawberry Cake.


This one was very yummy, and I agree with the description of it being kind of like a strawberry shortcake.  It hit that balance point of fluffy cake with juicy strawberries and cream soaking in, to just the right texture.  I made it with fresh local strawberries - the best!

I have been incredibly busy at work, so despite the fact that I did make this in time for the "deadline" (is there really a deadline when one is baking for fun?), I just now got to posting it.

I really like cakes with multiple thin layers with filling between. - this one has strawberries and whipped cream, with more whipped cream on the outside.  It can be tricky to cut the layers - even with a sharp serrated knife, I find that I don't always cut evenly.  Luckily it was fairly forgiving, especially since you cover the whole thing in whipped cream, so no one can see the evenness of the layers you cut.



Cake before cutting up

Layered with filling before frosting

1 comment:

  1. Wow! How did you get your cake to rise so much? I was only able to get two layers.

    ReplyDelete