Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Madeleines - TWD: Baking with Julia

Tuesdays with Dorie: Baking with Julia - 31st Installment.  The recipe is Madeleines.
OK, so they're not exactly Madeleines....
I had to take the ladyfinger option, since I don't (yet) own a Madeleine pan.   I didn't realize that they are the same batter.

The subtitle of this post really should be 'Don't Forget to Set the Timer'!  They were not quite done, so I put them back into the oven for just one more minute, and didn't kick off the timer to remind me to pull them out.  Five minutes later....eeeeek!  You can see the result above - at least they were edible, if drier than I really wanted.

This was definitely a bit fussy, but that was OK - they're not called 'Rustic Madeleines' after all :-)  I followed the directions, and they went pretty well - interesting method, whipping the eggs and then folding the butter in at the end.
After gently folding in the butter
The batter spread out/flattened a bit more than I thought it would.  I ruled the lines onto the parchment, and piped the ladyfingers at the prescribed distance apart, and a number of them merged into their neighbors, which was OK because the recipe then told me what to do in that situation - cut them apart with a pizza cutter (well written recipe, as usual!).

I made a half batch, since I knew we didn't have enough people to eat an entire batch, and the recipe said they don't keep very well.  Next time maybe I'll make a whole batch and use part of it for Tiramisu or something like that.  

Looking forward to seeing the TWD group's variations on this one....

6 comments:

  1. I like your ladyfinger madeleines! I don't have the right pan either, so probably should have done what you did - nice lateral thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ladyfingers or madeleines they look good…sorry you forgot to set the timer! I can’t tell you how many times that has happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't ever made ladyfingers but I am going to one of these days. Sorry about the timer - I've done the same. :)Blessings, Catherine www.praycookblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate when that happens! It's happened here more than I would have liked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get a pan soon. They make such cute cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see the ladyfinger version of these. It's good to know a little over-baking didn't harm them and I definitely vote for tiramisu next time.

    ReplyDelete