Monday, September 16, 2013

Espresso Profiteroles - TWD: Baking with Julia

Tuesdays with Dorie: Baking with Julia - 41st Installment.  The recipe is Espresso Profiteroles.

This recipe was fairly easy and really delicious.  Coffee-flavored cream puffs, with cinnamon ice cream, and chocolate sauce on top - great combination!  You could do other combinations as well - I bet a raspberry ice cream would be good here.  Confession: I bought some locally-made cinnamon ice cream, instead of following the recipe in the book.  Please don't take away my Baking with Julia license ;-)  I have made ice cream before, but knew the extra time spent would push this project over the line from fun into schedule overload.

I have made cream puffs before, both large and small, so that part of the method was familiar.  I remember my mom teaching me how to make them and how different it was from a cake or cookie recipe, with the hot liquid butter and water, and then beating in the eggs.  
Ready for baking
It's very useful to have a pastry bag with a 1/2" tip as specified in the recipe - I'm not sure how else you could manage to make uniform puffs, since the dough is rather sticky and hard to manipulate.  I ended up with some peaks on them - hard to twist the pastry bag to smooth them off, so I had to smooth over with a finger after piping them onto the sheet.  It was a little tricky to put the egg wash on the batter blobs - next time, I will definitely try to put on more, since I liked the shine that it added.

 They puffed up very well in the oven, and I made sure to bake them long enough - in the past I have removed cream puffs from the oven too early, and they can be a little soggy and deflated. They are a little irregular looking, but I think uniformity would take away their personality :-)

All in all, a lot of fun and a recipe I would definitely prepare again.

No comments:

Post a Comment