Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Crème Bruléed Chocolate Bundt - TWD: Baking with Julia

Tuesdays with Dorie: Baking with Julia - 75th installment. The recipe is Crème Bruléed Chocolate Bundt.
The chocolate recipes are coming along in rapid succession...not sure how long I can maintain this pace ;-)
This recipe includes a chocolate bundt cake, which is made in the chiffon cake style including cocoa powder, oil, and stiffly beaten egg whites. I used a bit of dark cocoa as well as regular cocoa.


You also make a creme anglais - vanilla cream, cooked gently over hot water, with a vanilla bean for flavoring.    The cream chills for at least a couple of hours, or overnight.
To assemble the cake, you pile some Chambord-soaked raspberries into the center of the cake, drizzle the cream over the entire cake, sprinkle with sugar and then turn the cream into crème brulée by browning the sugar with a hand-held blowtorch.  Alas, I have no blowtorch, so I tried a couple of ways to do this - I sprinkled the cream with sugar and then browned it in a dish under the broiler.  It looked pretty, but then there was no attractive way to put it on the cake.  In the end, I decided the best way was to just drizzle the sauce (without browning) on the individual pieces of cake.  This was also more flexible since we weren't going to eat the entire cake in one sitting.  This cake was great - I would even consider making the cake on its own without the accessories

3 comments:

  1. Looks great! Thank you for including the photo of folding in / mixing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to know that I am not the only one without a torch! As a pastry chef, you would think I have one at home but I really never had a need for one. The cake is definitely one on the "make again" list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great! I really liked the chiffon bundt part. and the torching might be fun, but it really doesn't add anything that special in this case...the sauce is good enough.

    ReplyDelete