Thursday, February 12, 2015

Salsa Quitza - TWD: Baking with Julia

Tuesdays with Dorie: Baking with Julia - 74th installment. The recipe is Salsa Quitza.
This is an easy savory pie.  I remember this recipe from the original "Baking with Julia" TV series, because Lora Brody was such a cheerleader for the bread machine.  I learned from that show that you could just use the machine to make dough, and then take it out and bake it in the oven.  I've found that the oven produces better texture in the bread than the bread machine does - I think it might be the gradual heating up that happens when the bread machine bakes.  Despite the imperfect texture, it can still be useful to bake bread in the machine, especially if you're at home with no bread and don't have time to bake some!  

We still have a working bread machine, so I used it to make this dough, just as the recipe says.  The dough has refried beans in it, so I used some cooked pinto beans I had on hand. After the machine is done with its kneading and rising, you fit the dough into a springform pan. I didn't have the same size pan called for in the recipe, so I used a smaller springform pan and put the remaining dough into a small pie pan:
You spread softened cream cheese, salsa, and grated cheese into the crust:
and let it rise before baking.   Once it's done, you pop it out of the springform and serve warm or room temperature.   
It was delicious for a snowy night with salad on the side, and even made a pretty good leftover, although I did reheat in the oven, rather than the microwave, to maintain the texture of the crust.

1 comment:

  1. As strange as this recipe sounded to me, I liked it, too, and thought the leftovers, reheated in the oven, were just as tasty.

    ReplyDelete